About Me

My photo
REALTOR® RE/MAX 100 Springfield, VA Licensed in VA www.traister.com

Friday, November 16, 2018

For Your Protection, Get A Home Inspection

A friend who's buying a home out of state sent me a text message last week asking if getting a home inspection was, in her words, "a total racket."

I asked what was going on and she explained that her agent had recommended a home inspector, and that she didn't think it was worth doing the inspection because since the agent had recommended the inspector, the inspector had "skin in the game/incentive to make sure [the deal] goes through."

I explained to her that I always tell my buyer clients to get a home inspection, and that the inspectors I recommend are professionals I trust to protect my clients' interests. Sometimes they find nothing serious, other times they find something that sours the deal. Often, they find things that either need to be repaired before the transaction (such as faulty equipment), or that the new owners need to be aware of for the future (such as a water heater nearing the end of its useful lifespan).

Regardless of whether the deal goes through, the home inspector usually gets paid at the time the inspection is done, so there is no incentive for them to make sure the deal goes through.

The bedrock of my business is referrals from clients, so if I recommend a home inspector who doesn't do a good job, that reflects badly on me and is something my client is likely to tell others when they ask for recommendations for a REALTOR.

My duty as your agent is to protect you and your interests, not the transaction.

In your corner,
-Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment